I see many dogs with symptoms of illness that are often very difficult to diagnose. Â There are times you simply don’t know what you are doing to your animals by feeding them foods you believe to be very healthy for them. Â Your dog may have been exhibiting mild symptoms of illness like lethargic behavior or being off their food for a while. Â These are indications that SOMETHING is going on with your dog. Â One of the first things to consider is what you are feeding them. Â (Asking your dog directly what is going on at this point is vital as well, it could also be a sign of depression or other root cause.)
With the help of Dr. Andrew Jones, DVM, I am presenting you with a short list of hazardous foods to avoid with your dog(s).
There are a number of common ‘human’ foods that can be toxicÂ for your pets… The important thing is to know exactly what toÂ avoid. Here is a complete list.
It is often sweet – attracting dogs and cats, but can causeÂ serious and fatal intoxication. Don’t ever offer this to your pets.
Here are some of the signs and side effects:
- Excessive urination
- Breathing rate is slowed
- Cardiac arrest and death
Avocado leaves, fruit, seeds and bark contain a toxic principleÂ known as Persin. The Guatemalan variety is most toxic – but allÂ have toxic potential. They cause vomiting/diarrhea – primarilyÂ gastrointestinal distress.
Chocolate (all forms)
Chocolate contains theobromine, a compound that is a cardiacÂ stimulant and a diuretic.
Increased drinking and urinating.
Vomiting and Diarrhea.
Theobromine causes an increased heart rate and arrhythmia -.
Seizures can then be seen.
Death is then possible.
ACTION PLAN: Induce vomiting, give activated charcoal, and go toÂ the Vet if depression and seizures begin. Baker’s chocolate andÂ high cocoa content chocolate is the most toxic; the toxic dose isÂ 2 baking squares for a 10lb dog. Regular chocolate bars haveÂ little real chocolate and are seldom toxic.
Coffee (all forms)
Coffee contains dangerous components called xanthines, whichÂ cause nervous system or urinary system damage and heart muscleÂ stimulation
The primary concern here is severe gastrointestinal upset- andÂ in some cases Pancreatitis.Â This can be fatal in some pets- and it is ALMOST always triggeredÂ by a High Fat Meal, such as gravy or bacon.
Macadamia nuts contain an unknown toxin, which can affect theÂ digestive and nervous systems and muscles of dogs. This hasÂ lead to paralysis. A small number of nuts and even the butterÂ can cause this.
Moldy or spoiled foods
Many molds contain a type of toxin called an Aflatoxin. This isÂ thought to be a common cause of “compost toxicity”. Signs includeÂ GI (Vomiting/Diarrhea), muscle tremors, in-coordination, elevatedÂ temperature, excessive salivation, and liver damage. AvoidÂ feeding ANYTHING moldy to your dog or cat.
Onions, onion powder
Onions contain the toxic ingredient thiosulphate. Â Pets affected by onion toxicity will develop anemia. 1 Onion canÂ cause this. Fortunately ALL dogs recover once they are stoppedÂ from ingesting onions.
Raisins and grapes
As few as 6 grapes and raisins have caused acute kidney failureÂ in some dogs.Â The toxic ingredient is not yet known.Â There is no treatement.Â AVOID feeding ANY grapes or raisins to your dogs.
The yeast dough/uncooked bread dough will rise in your pet’sÂ stomach causing severe gastrointestinal distress (vomiting/diarrhea),Â bloating, and signs of alcohol toxicity.
Xylitol is a artificial sweeter found in “SUGAR FREE” Products,Â such as gum, candy etc. Â Signs relate to a sudden drop in glucose (blood sugar),Â in-coordination, collapse and seizures. Â Avoid feeding any gum/candy to your pets.
Apples, Apricots, Cherries, Peaches and Plums.
Ingestion of large amounts of stems, seeds and leaves of theseÂ fruits can be toxic.Â They contain a cyanide type compound and signs of toxicity includeÂ apprehension, dilated pupils, difficulty breathing, hyperventilationÂ and shock.Â Note – it’s the seeds and stems that contain the toxic component,Â not the fruit itself.
Potato peelings and green looking potatoes
Potatoes and other Solanum species, including the tomato, areÂ members of the nightshade family of plants. Â These plants contain solanine and other toxic alkaloids which, ifÂ eaten in large enough amounts, can produce drooling, severeÂ gastrointestinal upset, including vomiting and diarrhea, loss ofÂ appetite, drowsiness, central nervous system depression, confusion,Â behavioral changes, weakness, dilated pupils and slowed heart rate.
High levels of nutmeg can be toxic, even fatal.Â The toxic component is unknown. Â Signs of toxicity include tremors, seizures, nervous system abnormalities or death.
Tomato leaves & stems (green parts)
The green parts of the tomato plant are considered toxic becauseÂ they contain solanine, which has the potential to produceÂ significant gastrointestinal and central nervous system effects.
Dr. Jones has an amazing home study course – Veterinary Secrets Revealed Home Study Course – check it out now.